Sunday, May 15, 2011

Vol. 17 - Rot, Heit, und Blau: Cover Versions of the Optimus Prime and Lather & Rinse!

Your editor on the road to Bangor.
Forgive the delay between posts.  I have been on an interesting road trip, and I have come back with some goodies!  Since my last post, I received an intriguing email from a Pennsylvania woman who claimed to own a copy of a rare German recording titled Rot, Heit, und Blau, a benefit album which tried but failed to raise money and awareness about Osgood-Schlatter's disease in German-speaking countries.  She lived in Bangor, PA and asked me to visit, for the disc itself was not for sale (I tried).  She even sent me her cell phone number, which I promptly dialed.  I was greeted by a thickly accented voice.  My first question (and I sincerely apologize to you for this) was, "How quickly can I get to Bangor?"  The woman laughed at me and answered: "Slow down, stud.  It will take a few compliments, some drinks, maybe zee dinner..."  I realized that this was no ordinary woman, and I looked forward to my visit.

She lived in a mountainside chalet overlooking what I assumed was once a beautiful valley, now dotted by Starbucks, Wendy's, a few hotels.  Originally from Tyrol in Austria and claiming to have been married at one time to both Sigfried and Roy (who knew?!) she wished only to be known to my readers as Tiney Heine.  Contrary to her name, she was not short, thin yes, aging well, probably once beautiful.  And she had an incredible collection of imported records, tapes and CDs. An unremarkable packaging hid Rot, Heit, und Blau's bounty within.  Again, I remind you that I was not permitted to purchase the disc.  However, Ms. Heine did allow me to burn a copy to my laptop.  Since this blog is not about me but about Holiday, Dolf, and their soft rock heroes, I will refrain from sharing more of my visit to Bangor, at least for now.

Below you will find two tracks.  The first is a 2004 or 2005 cover of the Optimus Prime's "They Hate Use Because We Love the Freedom" performed by Heir Helmut, a band who recorded briefly on Holiday and Dolf's Taint records.  I think our heroes would have been proud to hear lines like, "Don't turn around/GW's in town," especially since George has been in the news again as the man who laid the foundation for the death of Bin Laden!!  I will refrain from further comment, but once again I am reminded how prescient Holiday and Dolf were (perhaps still are): 


The second track is a cover of Lather and Rinse's "Paper," which is given a jazzy swing by the Casper Brautwurst Onetet.  I literally hear the sound of ripping paper serving as a primitive rhythm.  The soft rock-worthy subject matter remains intact: "I don't know what else to do, but wrap up my bleeding heart for you/And put it underneath your tree with a little tag 'to you, from me.'"  Very romantic:


I will be back shortly with a new post, an email exchange between Holiday and Dolf about, of all things, children!  -ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment